Want to access your smart home door lock with Amazon Alexa? As one of the best smart door locks is August Door Lock with which you can ask Alexa to unlock your smart home door’s using single commands. With Alexa August Integration, you will be able to unlock the smart lock placed at your home’s door. Able to unlock a door adds a new level of functionality but there are some essential concerns connected to this type of lock access. An unlocking voice command raises security risks because someone can scream out theoretically on Alexa device from the outside. But like the Decimal Alexa Command of the Scout Security System, a 4-12 digit secret PIN is required before unlocking the door on August. You know, August Smart Home Skills for Alexa enabled devices to allow you to lock and unlock your door, check the situation and watch your door live from your August door camera.
If you have August Smart Lock
- Now you can close your door
- Unlock your door with a zip code from Alexa and
- Check the status of your August Smart Lock
You have to set each August Smart Lock with one August connect. Please follow the steps accordingly in your August app.
Steps to enable August Smart Skills on Amazon Alexa App
- Enable skill. It will appear under the “Skills” section
- Link your August Smart Lock account to allow skills to reach your locks.
If you want to enable unlocking, set a pin code at the end of account linking. If you leave it empty, Alexa cannot unlock your door (this is the default). Note that this PIN code is different from the PIN code installed on the August smart keypad
Once you’re August and Amazon Alexa account is linked, you can ask “August to unlock the front door” or “Check back door.”
If Alexa listens incorrectly three times to the wrong unlock, then it will need to link the link back to your link, before it will unlock the door for you.
How to Unlock Smart Locks with Alexa
To launch the Alexa app and then tap the menu button in the top left corner of the screen.
- Choose the “Smart Home” option from the menu.
- Scroll down and tap the Smart Lock you want to be able to unlock with your voice.
- Now, Tap on the “Edit” option in the top-right corner.
- To turn on the option, tap the “Unlock by voice” toggle switch.
- Press “OK” when a pop-up window appears.
- After this, enter a custom four-digit voice code, which you will need to say to unlock your door with your voice. You need to enter the code twice to confirm.
- After that, you may have to sign in to your Amazon account.
Once this happens, the feature will be enabled and the toggle switch will turn blue. You should be good to go! Now, all you have to say is, “Alexa, unlock the front door” (or whatever you have named your Smart Lock). After that Alexa will ask for your voice code. Say code, and your door should be unlocked! You can still lock your doors using your voice, and you do not need a voice code for it.